Sunday, February 8, 2009

Font Poem



I searched for quotes on www.brainyquote.com and www.bartleby.com by categories that I feel best described my character. Under the category happiness on www.brainyquote.com, I found a quote that both described my outlook on life and also had enough descriptive words to work for the project. The quote I chose was “Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length” by Robert Frost.

I began the project by setting the background to black. Next, I set the text color to white and typed in each word in an individual layer. I did this by using the Text tool, typing the words, and then hitting the move button to set each one in place. Because the quote’s meaning is the importance of height, I arranged the words vertically in a visual attempt to stack them on each other. Although this resulted in black space on both the left side and right side of the design, I wanted to show my audience that the design was also lacking in length and made up for it in height, much like happiness. 

I chose the fonts based on similarities, for example, the word “Happiness” is in Curlz MT that appeared joyous to me. I skewed the size and format of the words using the stretch and distort options. I used the distort tools to make height appeared squeezed in the middle. I decided to take the word “in” and place it in the middle of the word “Height” for more effect. I changed the font to a typewriter font so it did not take away from the other words. I made the first “in” vertical to show that it was depicting height. I kept the remaining filler words the same font so that they would not take away from the more impressionable fonts. I started to add color to the poem with the word “Happiness” that was in a Curlz MT type. Yellow is a color that comes to mind when I think of happiness, so I decided to make that the color of the type using a Color Overlay. I wanted to make the type seem as if it was glowing, so I added an effect called “Outer Glow” at 83% opacity with a precise, screen mode. The words “makes” and “what it” were relatively insignificant in the poem, so I decided to match them in the same type to show emphasis on the more important words. I decided on the type “Handwriting” because it was effective but not overbearing. To each word, I added a Bevel and Emboss style and color overlay. I made “makes” a lighter yellow than “Happiness” to be sure that it wouldn’t take away from the word. I made “what” and “it” teal because it is my favorite color. I chose to do this because the color teal makes me happy and my poem is about happiness. Next, I placed the word “up” higher than “makes” to signify it’s meaning. When I think of the word “up,” I think of clouds. I decided to find an image of clouds online and add the image into the font. Using directions from the help menu, I applied a clipping mask and decided on “Impact” because it was a bold yet vertical font. The next words that I worked on were “Height” and “In.”. I used the type Eccentric Std. with the warp style because it was tall. I also kept this word in all caps to further emphasize the height. To the word “in” and the word “height,” I added a layer style called Gradient Overlay to show the blend from yellow to teal. For the word “in,” I also added an Outer Bevel to distinguish it from “Height.” I put “lacks” in the Cracked type because I liked how parts of the word were missing. To add to this effect, I added a pattern overlay that made the type look like more parts were missing. For “length,” I decided on “blackoak std” because it was very long and bold. I added the color pink as a Color Overlay. I decided to use pink because other than teal, it is also one of my favorite colors. I thought that being a happy color, it would fit perfectly in the poem. I added the Layer Style Emboss, which shows the viewer the importance of the word. Lastly, I added a Color Overlay of lighter pink to the word “in” to help me tie the color arrangement together with the other words. I kept the type in the font “Typewriter” because it was simple and did not take away from the other words. I added an Outer Bevel to copy the same effects as the first “in” and further tie the design together. 


No comments:

Post a Comment